The government of India, on Wednesday, banned 118 more applications in India, mostly Chinese, including the immensely popular video game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG) mobile application. The government added that the 118 apps have been banned “in view of the emergent nature of threats” and that there is information that “they are engaged in activities which are prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, the security of the state and public order.”
The government said that it is taking action against the apps under Section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009.
The apps banned include PUBG MOBILE LITE, PUBG MOBILE Nordic Map: Livik, Baidu, WeChat Work, Ludo, Music – Mp3 Player, and several editing and racing platforms.
According to Rajdip Gupta, Founder of Cobx Gaming, 50 million gamers in India played PUBG in 2019. It was however not banned by the government initially as it is not entirely Chinese. The game has been created and managed by Bluehole which is a South Korean organization, but a Chinese company owns some stake. However, the game will still available for those who play it on other gaming platforms like PC, Xbox, and Sony Playstation.
“In the interest of sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India and security of the State. And using the sovereign powers, the Government of India has decided to block the usage of certain Apps, used in both mobile and non-mobile Internet-enabled devices,” a statement by the Ministry of Information Technology said.
“This move will safeguard the interests of crores of Indian mobile and internet users. This decision is a targeted move to ensure safety, security, and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace,” the statement added.
The decision comes after the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre, Ministry of Home Affairs also sent an exhaustive recommendation for blocking these malicious apps, the government said.
In the last week of June, the government of India banned 59 apps, including TikTok and SHAREit, and again in July, another 47 apps were added to the list for ‘operating as the clones’ of the previously banned apps.
Here is the full list of the 118 applications that are now banned:
- APUS Launcher Pro- Theme, Live Wallpapers, Smart
- APUS Launcher-Theme, Call Show, Wallpaper, HideApps
- APUS Security -Antivirus, Phone Security, Cleaner
- APUS Turbo Cleaner 2020- Junk Cleaner, Anti-Virus
- APUS Flashlight-Free & Bright
- Cut Cut – Cut Out & Photo Background Editor
- Baidu Express Edition
- FaceU – Inspire your Beauty
- ShareSave by Xiaomi: Latest gadgets, amazing deals
- CamCard – Business Card Reader
- CamCard Business
- CamCard for Salesforce
- VooV Meeting – Tencent Video Conferencing
- Super Clean – Master of Cleaner, Phone Booster
- WeChat reading
- Government WeChat
- Small Q brush
- Tencent Weiyun
- WeChat Work
- Cyber Hunter
- Cyber Hunter Lite
- Knives Out-No rules, just fight!
- Super Mecha Champions
- Dawn of Isles
- Ludo World-Ludo Superstar
- Chess Rush
- PUBG MOBILE Nordic Map: Livik
- PUBG MOBILE LITE
- Rise of Kingdoms: Lost Crusade
- Art of Conquest: Dark Horizon
- Dank Tanks
- Game of Sultans
- Gallery Vault – Hide Pictures And Videos
- Smart AppLock (App Protect)
- Message Lock (SMS Lock)-Gallery Vault Developer Team
- Hide App-Hide Application Icon
- AppLock Lite
- Dual Space – Multiple Accounts & App Cloner
- ZAKZAK Pro – Live chat & video chat online
- ZAKZAK LIVE: live-streaming & video chat app
- Music – Mp3 Player
- Music Player – Audio Player & 10 Bands Equalizer
- HD Camera Selfie Beauty Camera
- Cleaner – Phone Booster
- Web Browser & Fast Explorer
- Video Player All Format for Android
- Photo Gallery HD & Editor
- Photo Gallery & Album
- Music Player – Bass Booster – Free Download
- HD Camera – Beauty Cam with Filters & Panorama
- HD Camera Pro & Selfie Camera
- Music Player – MP3 Player & 10 Bands Equalizer
- Gallery HD
- Web Browser – Fast, Privacy & Light Web Explorer
- Web Browser – Secure Explorer
- Music player – Audio Player
- Video Player – All Format HD Video Player
- Lamour Love All Over The World
- Amour- video chat & call all over the world.
- MV Master – Make Your Status Video & Community
- MV Master – Best Video Maker & Photo Video Editor
- APUS Message Center-Intelligent management
- LivU Meet new people & Video chat with strangers
- Carrom Friends : Carrom Board & Pool Game-
- Ludo All Star- Play Online Ludo Game & Board Games
- Bike Racing : Moto Traffic Rider Bike Racing Games
- Rangers Of Oblivion : Online Action MMO RPG Game
- Z Camera – Photo Editor, Beauty Selfie, Collage
- GO SMS Pro – Messenger, Free Themes, Emoji
- U-Dictionary: Oxford Dictionary Free Now Translate
- Ulike – Define your selfie in trendy style
- Tantan – Date For Real
- MICO Chat: New Friends Banaen aur Live Chat karen
- Kitty Live – Live Streaming & Video Live Chat
- Malay Social Dating App to Date & Meet Singles
- Mobile Taobao
- Road of Kings- Endless Glory
- Sina News
- Netease News
- Penguin FM
- Murderous Pursuits
- Tencent Watchlist (Tencent Technology
- Learn Chinese AI-Super Chinese
- HUYA LIVE – Game Live Stream
- Little Q Album
- Fighting Landlords – Free and happy Fighting Landlords
- Hi Meitu
- Mobile Legends: Pocket
- VPN for TikTok
- VPN for TikTok
- Penguin E-sports Live assistant
- Buy Cars-offer everything you need, special offers and low prices
- Beauty Camera Plus – Sweet Camera & Face Selfie
- Parallel Space Lite – Dual App
- “Chief Almighty: First Thunder BC
- MARVEL Super War NetEase Games
- AFK Arena
- Creative Destruction NetEase Games
- Crusaders of Light NetEase Games
- Mafia City Yotta Games
- Onmyoji NetEase Games
- Ride Out Heroes NetEase Games
- Yimeng Jianghu-Chu Liuxiang has been fully upgraded
- Legend: Rising Empire NetEase Games
- Arena of Valor: 5v5 Arena Games
- Soul Hunters
- Rules of Survival
Paypal to shut down services within India: All you need to know
Digital payment solutions provider Paypal will shut down its domestic payments business within India from April 1. The company will instead focus more on the international payments business. which means global customers will still be able to pay Indian merchants using Paypal.
“We will continue to invest in product development that enables Indian businesses to reach nearly 350 million PayPal consumers worldwide, increase their sales internationally, and help the Indian economy return to growth,” a PayPal spokesperson said in a statement.
“From April 1, 2021, we will focus all our attention on enabling more international sales for Indian businesses, and shift focus away from our domestic products in India,” the spokesperson added.
“This means we will no longer offer domestic payment services within India from 1 April.”
PayPal was one of the payment options on many Indian online platforms like Swiggy, MakeMyTrip, BookMyShow, etc.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G Flagship Processor: All you need to know
The Snapdragon 888 5G by Qualcomm for the mobile platform is official, and it’s the fastest processor ever made by the company. This is the processor that will power most of the flagship devices next year, including the Xiaomi M11 and the Realme Race. The chipmaker Qualcomm said that the Snapdragon 888 offers improved performance for the next generation of high end 5G smartphones.
The launch of the Snapdragon 888 processor comes at a time when consumers are thinking twice about buying premium smartphones due to job losses and uncertainty due to the ongoing pandemic. The company, however, does not believe that the demand for top-level flagship smartphones has dropped. In fact, Qualcomm said that there is a huge demand for high-end smartphones in many parts of the world, including India.
Now that the processor has been officially announced, here are the top five highlights of the latest chipset:
1. Integrated 5G
The Snapdragon 888 comes with a built-in 5G modem, which is a good thing. Previously, smartphone makers had to use two different chips, which complicated the overall phone design process. Since the mobile chip is integrated with a third-generation X60 5G modem, it is easy to make smartphones. Phone manufacturers had been demanding a single flagship chip that acts as the brain of a smartphone and also connects to 5G, all through a single solution. The integration of the modem within the chip itself results in longer battery life and lowers the cost of smartphones. The 3rd gen onboard X60 5G modem will support both the mmWave and sub-6 GHz spectrum, plus 5G carrier aggregation, multi-SIM, standalone, and non-standalone global connectivity.
2. Powerful and Improved GPU for Gaming
According to Qualcomm, the Snapdragon 888 makes it their chip to use a 5 nm semiconductor manufacturing process. This results in a more powerful chip performance with lesser power consumption. The Snapdragon 888 also has a built-in graphics processor (GPU), the Adreno 660, which the company claims renders graphics 35 percent faster. Also, Qualcomm is betting heavily on gaming on high -end phones that will be powered by the Snapdragon 8 8 8 processor. Qualcomm said the new chip introduces the 3rd generation of its Elite Gaming platform that brings Variable Speed Shading (VRS) to smartphones for the first time. VRS is a technique that brings photographic realism to games. The Snapdragon 888 will also support 4K displays with a refresh rate of up to 144 Hz.
3. Advanced AI Engine
A mobile chip is not enough for performing complicated tasks like image processing or facial recognition. So chipmakers like Qualcomm rely excessively on artificial intelligence (AI) to run photo and video editing applications. The new Snapdragon 888 has a new Hexagon 780 AI processor built into the chip itself, which according to Qualcomm runs 50 percent faster than last year’s AI processors. Thanks to the chip’s reliance on machine learning, the Snapdragon 888 handles 26 trillion operations per second, or TOPS, promising a huge leap in the energy efficiency of AI tasks.
4. Improved Camera Support
Qualcomm is also betting on computational photography to transform mobile phones into a kind of professional cameras. All thanks to the latest ISP, the Snapdragon 888 processor will be able to capture photos at up to 2.7 gigapixels per second, which translates to having an ability to shoot 120 photos per second at 12-megapixel resolution. The camera system actually captures shots at a resolution of up to 200 megapixels, as well as video recording in 8K and 4K. The chip can also record video with HDR, a feature that Apple greatly highlighted with the launch of the iPhone 12 series .
Several OEMs have already announced their commitment to making flagship-level smartphones using the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chip and are expected to be announced in the first quarter of 2021. Unsurprisingly, the Chinese smartphone brands dominate the list of smartphone manufacturers that will use the Snapdragon 888, including OnePlus, Realme, and Xiaomi.
Free screen replacement for Apple iPhone 11 users: All you need to know
There is some good news for Apple users who are experiencing touchscreen issues in their iPhone 11. The company has said that users having such problems can now get a free screen replacement from Apple.
Apple has acknowledged that a number of iPhone 11 sets, manufactured between November 2019 to May 2020 may face touchscreen issues. The company stated that a number of iPhone 11 displays, “may stop responding to touch due to an issue with the display module.” And because of this, the company is offering free service to eligible customers.
The company has put up a support page on its website to help affected customers find out if they are eligible for a replacement. It has been given the name, ‘iPhone 11 Display Module Replacement Program for Touch Issues’.
Apple states that the issue is being caused by a problem with the display module. However, it did not reveal the exact problem with the display module that is causing the issue.
Are you eligible for the free screen replacement?
– To check if your iPhone 11 is eligible for a display replacement, you simply have to enter your phone’s serial number on the dedicated support page. The website will then check its database and see if your iPhone’s serial number matches its replacement list or not.
– To check for your iPhone 11’s serial number head into the Settings panel, then open the General tab and tap About.
– If you are eligible for a free service, you will be required to take your device to an Apple Authorized Service Provider and submit your device for repair.
– The company states that it will limit the repair program to the original region of purchase and that it will not extend the standard warranty coverage of the device.
– Apple recommends its users to take a backup of their data before going to get the issue fixed.
– It also states that if the display is cracked, users will first have to get it repaired before submitting the phone to get the touchscreen issue fixed.
Like most Apple service programs, the iPhone 11 plan does not extend standard warranty coverage and covers affected devices for two years after the first retail purchase. If any users had been experiencing touchscreen issues and had their displays fixed before the company rolled out the program, are eligible to get a refund. For the refund, the users can get in touch with Apple directly from its support page.