Connect with us
Nirav Modi Nirav Modi

Latest News

Nirav Modi faces suicide risk in India, UK court told

Published

on

Nirav Modi, fighting extradition to India, is unlikely to get a fair trial there due to the politicization of his case and he faces a “high risk of suicide” due to the lack of adequate medical facilities in Indian prisons, his legal team told a UK court on Tuesday.

The 49-year-old fugitive diamond merchant is fighting extradition charges related to the estimated $2 billion Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud and money laundering case brought by the Indian government at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London.

On the second day of Modi’s five-day extradition hearing at the court, Justice Samuel Goozee was taken through official Indian prison data, including statistics on coronavirus cases at Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai where Modi is to be held if he is extradited.

Modi’s barrister, Clare Montgomery, also laid out her plans to depose further expert witnesses during the course of the week, including a former Indian Supreme Court judge referred to only by his last name of Katju.

“There has been a significant decline in the integrity of the justice system in India and the Nirav Modi case has been made a political issue, with no presumption made of innocence,” Montgomery told the court.

She claimed that because the jeweler had been made into a “hate figure” in India, there was an “overwhelming political necessity” to condemn him and see him convicted.

She added that other defense witnesses also highlight a decline in the “standards of behavior” of investigating agencies, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Enforcement Directorate (ED).

The court was told about a “marked decline” in Modi’s mental health at Wandsworth Prison in south-west London, where stricter coronavirus curbs have meant a lack of access to inhouse counseling facilities and very limited contact with family, with only 25 minutes allowed outside his cell in July.

“He has increasingly suffered from severe depression and the latest assessment shows he is on the threshold of being subject to hospitalization unless given proper treatment and his fitness to plead may be in doubt here or in the requesting state (India) given a high risk of suicide,” Montgomery said, adding that the availability of psychiatric help in Indian prisons was “utterly inadequate”.

“The laconic assurance [of the government of India] and the prison video to say that he will be kept in humane conditions appears to be completely inadequate when one bears in mind his psychiatric condition and in addition the looming threat of COVID-19,” she said.

Modi’s legal team also indicated plans to depose an expert in tropical medicine in an attempt to counter the Indian government claims that the COVID-19 outbreak reported at Arthur Road Jail in Mumbai in May had been brought under control.

“What is claimed is improbable and the management of COVID-19 within Arthur Road Jail does not add up,” Montgomery told the judge.

The defense arguments follow the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) opening the second part of the extradition trial on Monday on behalf of the Indian authorities, which focused on establishing a prima facie case of fraud and money laundering against Modi.

CPS barrister Helen Malcolm took Justice Goozee through detailed witness statements by so-called “dummy directors” including Ashish Lad, who recorded a video back in June 2018 to say that his life had been threatened by Modi.

She laid out details of how as the details of the fraud were beginning to emerge, the jeweler started by hiding most of the evidence, in particular the originals of “letters of undertaking” (LoUs) from PNB, and then went on to “threaten, intimidate, cajole and bribe officials.”

“He destroyed mobiles of dummy directors and threatened one of the witnesses with death,” Malcolm told the court.

Modi, dressed in a dark suit and white shirt, has been observing the court proceedings remotely from a room in Wandsworth Prison and referring to bundles of documents laid out before him from time to time.

He is subject to two sets of criminal proceedings, the first brought by the CBI relating to a large-scale fraud said to have been committed upon PNB and the ED case, relating to the laundering of the proceeds of that fraud.

A further extradition request was made in February this year, certified by UK Home Secretary Priti Patel, of two additional offenses relating to allegations that Modi interfered with the CBI investigation by causing the disappearance of evidence and intimidating a witness.

The CPS must establish a prima facie case against Modi to allow the judge to rule that he has a case to answer before the Indian courts. If the judge finds a prima facie case against Modi, it will go back to Patel to formally certify his extradition to India to stand trial.

A ruling in the case is expected at the end of this year after a final hearing scheduled for December 1.

Modi has made repeated attempts at bail over the past year, each of which was turned down as he is deemed a flight risk. The jeweler was arrested on March 19 last year on an extradition warrant executed by Scotland Yard.

Aman currently works as a blogger and also as a travel and lifestyle Vlogger. He is always interested in new challenges.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social Media

Rajesh Bethireddy is the latest popular name in the fashion circle from telugu states

Published

on

Rajesh Bethireddy

 

Fashion and trends have always been common points of discussion, however last decade can can be dedicated to men’s fashion as they have been able to shift the focus majorly which was only their on women’s fashion and trends. And this shift can be attributed to men’s fashion models and influencers. Although there are many young men out there who are either professional model or influencer but rarely are both. Meet Rajesh Bethireddy, 26, who is a model and fashion influencer. Rajesh Bethireddy is extremely occupied carrying both the professions with equal dedication.

Hyderabad based Rajesh Bethireddy is a software engineer by profession but he is also a successful model and fashion influencer. So far, Rajesh Bethireddy has worked with some brands and looking to act in TVCs for men’s lifestyle and fitness brands.

Rajesh Bethireddy turned fashion influencer in no time; right after he began his Instagram journey. Today, he enjoys more than 14,000 followers on his Instagram page, who hang on to his posts that dole out fashion advice. Besides, he also uses his Instagram account for popular brand collaborations like kolon natural,blendjet etc

Within 6 months of diversifying thus, Rajesh Bethireddy is already a darling in the Telugu states fashion circle. He believes that a ‘well-planned entry and a smart work’ are the two stepping stones to establish yourself into a cut-throat competitive business like this.
As for remuneration, apart from the monetary and exciting returns, Rajesh Bethireddy understands that “every moment is exciting when you turn your passion into profession.”

Well we wish him all the best for his future endorsements.

Continue Reading

World

Famous Football Player Cristiano Ronaldo Tested Positive for COVID-19

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo

Famous football player Cristiano Ronaldo has been tested positive for COVID-19 coronavirus. He will miss Portugal’s Nations League sport against Sweden on Wednesday.

Due to Cristiano been found positive, the remaining players of the Portugal squad also underwent tests this Tuesday morning. But all of the negative and would be available for the upcoming match against Sweden.

We pray for his speedy recovery.

Continue Reading

World

Thousands of people protesting over Kyrgyzstan election result

Published

on

Kyrgyzstan Protest

Thousands of people are protesting in Kyrgyzstan over allegations of vote-buying and intimidation in Sunday’s parliamentary election. The capital Bishkek saw the largest protest while rallies were also held elsewhere in the ex-Soviet republic.

Only four parties out of 16 passed the 7% threshold for entry into parliament, three of which have close ties to President Sooronbai Jeenbekov. International monitors have said the claims of vote-buying are “credible”.

None of the established opposition parties got a seat in parliament. Now all of these parties have declared that they will not recognize the results of the election. Opposition candidates are calling on the Central Electoral Commission in Kyrgyzstan to cancel the results of the vote. One candidate, Ryskeldi Mombekov, told a crowd of more than 5,000 protesters: “The president promised to oversee honest elections. He didn’t keep his word.”

Mr. Mombekov’s party, Ata Meken, had been confident of entering parliament, but in the end, it was one of the eight parties that missed the threshold. Protesters are also calling on President Jeenbekov to resign. Thomas Boserup, head of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe’s election observation mission, said in a briefing that although the vote had been “generally well organized”, allegations of vote-buying were a “serious concern”.

The two leading parties, which got a quarter of the vote each, were Birimdik and Mekenim Kyrgyzstan. President Jeenbekov’s younger brother, Asylbek Jeenbekov, is in Birimdik.

Mekenim Kyrgyzstan, meanwhile, is seen as being closely connected to the powerful Matraimov family. The family’s figurehead, Rayimbek Matraimov, is believed to have helped finance Mr. Jeenbekov’s successful presidential campaign in 2017.

Continue Reading

Trending