In a U-turn, the Karnataka government on Thursday withdrew its night curfew order, hours before it was to comment into effect. The decision to impose a night curfew for nine days from 11 pm to 5 am starting from Thursday was taken on Wednesday in line with the Centre’s advice, amid concerns over a new COVID-19 variant spreading in the UK.
In a statement, Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa said: “In view of the public opinion that there was no need for night curfew, the decision was reviewed and after consulting with cabinet colleagues and senior officials it has been decided to withdraw the night curfew.”
Yediyurappa had initially announced yesterday that the night curfew will be imposed from December 23 till January 2 between 10 pm and 6 am. Changes in night curfew dates and timing were announced later with Yediyurappa tweeting, it will be from December 24 till January 1, 2021, between 11 pm to 5 am (January 2, 5 am).
The Chief Minister today appealed to the people to exercise self-restraint by wearing facemasks, hand hygiene, and social distancing to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. The decision to impose the night curfew had drawn flak from the ruling as well as the opposition parties.
Terming the night curfew as a measure to ‘cover-up’ wrongdoings of the BJP government by diverting public attention, Congress state chief D K Shivakumar said, “This is a government which is not accountable. It tries to divert public attention through various means. How does the night curfew help containing the coronavirus?” Shivakumar asked.
BJP MLC A H Vishwanath, who is aspiring to become a minister, criticized the government’s decision to impose a night curfew. “I request the government to reconsider its decision to impose night curfew. Some of the decisions should be taken after much deliberation because it’s a government for the people,” Vishwanath told media in Mysuru.
Another senior BJP leader and Vijayapura MLA, Basanagouda Patil Yatnal too urged the government to reconsider its decision on the restrictions. Earlier in the day, Karnataka Health Minister Dr. K Sudhakar defended the government’s move to impose a night curfew saying it was done on the advice of the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) for COVID-19.
Speaking to reporters in the city, he said, “TAC had recommended imposing night curfews from 8 pm onwards as a precautionary measure. However, after much deliberation, we decided to restrict the movement of individuals from 11 pm to 5 am.” Reacting to criticism of the government’s move, Sudhakar sought to know what important economic activities take place at night. “When all the essential services, healthcare facilities, and transport are well in place, I would like to know whom the night curfew is going to affect?” he asked.
As the festival season started on December 24, the minister opined that thousands of youth may step out in the night for celebrations.
A man in New Zealand finds insects in his Domino’s pizza
A man in West Auckland, New Zealand says he was left feeling sick after allegedly discovering maggots (insects larva) on his takeaway pizza order from Domino’s. However, the Domino’s Pizza outlet where Reginald Thalari says he bought the pizza denied the claim.
On Tuesday afternoon, Thalari purchased four pizzas from Domino’s Pizza outlet in Avondale for his employees. But it was after they had eaten a few slices that Thalari alleges they made a stomach-churning discovery.
“It was disgusting. We ordered four pizzas but when we opened the box with pepperoni we saw maggots on the ham. I felt like spewing, to be honest. If someone says would you like some pizza I think I’ll turn them down next time.”
However, a Domino’s spokesperson said that it is extremely unlikely maggots would have been in store pre-purchase and said it would be “impossible” for eggs to survive the temperature of their ovens.
“Domino’s takes food health and safety extremely seriously, and ensures these standards are upheld through regular audits and inspections of stores throughout the year,” the spokesperson said.
The Domino’s Pizza spokeswoman further said that “Upon learning of this customer’s experience, we contacted the customer directly and have organised a deep clean of the store, as well as for our pest control company to further inspect,”
Singer Shobhit Sahay won hearts with his song ‘Mehrbaan Alvida’
Music can evoke many emotions in you. Songs help you express feelings for which you can’t find words. Singers play a key role in giving that effect to a song with their beautiful voices. In a country like India, many young singers are leaving people impressed with their impeccable talent. Shobhit Sahay from Muzaffarpur is one such talented singer/vocalist who is here to rule hearts.
Currently, Shobhit Sahay is grabbing headlines and making people fall in love with his song ‘Mehrbaan Alvida’. His melodious voice has elevated the song’s mood along with the catchy music. The song is trending on the internet and has crossed more than 100K views recently. Shobhit is over the moon with such a positive response to his latest release.
Along with being a good singer, Shobhit Sahay is also popular among the netizens as a social media influencer. Shobhit has thousands of followers on his Instagram account, where he shares videos covering various tracks. A few months ago, legendary singer Stebin Ben praised Shobhit for his amazing vocal skills. Shobhit also runs a YouTube channel where people can’t get enough of his talent and music skills.
Shobhit shares about his journey and love for music, “I have been into music since childhood. I used to listen to singers like Arijit Singh, Stebin Ben, Jubin Nautiyal and others. They captivate your mind with their soulful voice. They made me believe in my dreams and I am happy that people enjoy my work, especially my latest songs. I hope I keep making more original songs and people keep showering me with such good love.”
Thanks to the success of Mehrbaan Alvida, singer Shobhit Sahay has got the attention of many top Bollywood composers. Currently, various music composers have approached his to sing either for a movie or web show. Shobhit is excited about the way his singing career is shaping. Soon, he will announce his new project on social media.
About the enormous love and appreciation she receives on social media, the singer expresses, “I am incredibly amazed by the support and fondness of my Instagram followers. Their constant comments, appreciation, likes, and sharing of my content is what made me so strong in the world of social media. Deeply overwhelmed with the response. I hope I keep giving my best and make my followers and music lovers happy.”
Top military officer of India, CDS General Bipin Rawat passed away in chopper crash
General (retd) Bipin Rawat, India’s first Chief of Defence Staff General, passed away on Wednesday when an Indian Air Force helicopter ferrying him and 13 others crashed near Coonoor in Tamil Nadu, the Indian Air Force said.
The crash took place as Rawat was on his way to the Defence Services Staff College in Wellington. It is being speculated that the crash took place due to low visibility in foggy conditions.
“With deep regret, it has now been ascertained that Gen Bipin Rawat, Mrs Madhulika Rawat and 11 other persons on board have died in the unfortunate accident,” the Indian Air Force (IAF) said in a Twitter post late Wednesday.
“Gen Bipin Rawat, Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) was on a visit to Defence Services Staff College, Wellington (Nilgiri Hills) to address the faculty and student officers of the Staff Course today,” the IAF said in a second post.
Rawat, a former Indian army chief, took office as the first CDS on 1 January 2020 at the start of a three-year term. He was the one point defence advisor to the Defence Minister. He was also entrusted with carrying out some of the country’s key defence reforms – creating synergy among the three services by merging their 17 different commands into four or five joint commands. The new commands were to focus on specific borders.