An Indian player is among at least ten members of the Chennai Super Kings contingent who have tested positive for Covid-19 in Dubai. There is only one player among those who tested positive, with the rest of them comprising support staff members and a few net bowlers.
As a result, the Super Kings have been forced to postpone the start of their training in Dubai to September 1. According to the IPL’s Standing Operating Procedures (SOPs), all those who tested positive will now need to undergo at least two weeks of further quarantine and clear two more tests before they can rejoin the group.
The positive test results are from the final round of testing in the UAE which is part of IPL’s Covid-19 protocols comprising three tests that are mandatory for every person who is part of the tournament. As per the protocol, every person would get tested at the airport upon landing in the UAE, followed by three tests on days 1, 3, and 6. The protocol also makes it mandatory for everyone to undergo a six-day quarantine after landing where they are not supposed to even mingle with team members or colleagues. Only once the squad members clear all the mandatory tests can the team start their training.
As per the original schedule, the Super Kings would have started their training on Friday. However, their preparations are now in disarray. So far neither the franchise nor the IPL has made any public comment.
The IPL is to start on September 19, but the schedule is yet to be finalized. The development is bound to put the IPL on alert simply because the Super Kings, who finished runners-up in 2019, is expected to play defending champions Mumbai Indians in the tournament opener.
The Super Kings landed in Dubai on August 21 after part of their Indian contingent underwent a six-day conditioning camp in Chennai. That group included most of the senior Indian players in the squad including captain MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Deepak Chahar, and Piyush Chawla.
What happens now?
According to the tournament’s SOPs, those who test positive have to be “immediately isolated from the rest of the squad.” The SOPs also say “contact tracing” should “commence immediately.”
If the person is “asymptomatic or has mild symptoms” then he/she would need to be isolated outside the biosecure bubble for two weeks from the “first day of symptoms or a positive PCR test report whichever is later.”
The individual cannot also train during the 14-day isolation period and is advised complete rest. If the symptoms worsen then he/she would be shifted to a tournament accredited hospital.
“After the 2 weeks of isolation, the individual must return 2 negative PCR test reports done 24 hours apart before being permitted to re-enter the BioSecure Environment. After recovery, players must undergo a cardiac screening before resuming any team activities,” is what the IPL said while distributing the SOPs to franchise recently.
Had “reservations” about Chennai camp – Super Kings CEO
Incidentally, Super Kings CEO Kasi Viswanathan revealed he was skeptical about organizing the camp in Chennai and that it was Dhoni who convinced him why the camp was necessary.
“When we announced that the tournament [IPL] is going to happen, I had reservations about conducting the camp here because of the bio-bubble which we will have to observe,” Viswanathan said in a Super Kings video published on YouTube on August 26. “In fact, I even sent a message to him whether it will be worthwhile having a camp of five days before we leave for Dubai. But captain [Dhoni] was crystal clear in his thoughts.”
Dhoni reasoned that the Chennai experience would also help players understand the basics of what being a bubble meant. “He said: ‘No, Sir, we have not played for nearly 4-5 months. All of us need to get together. We should be in Chennai, in a bio-bubble, so that we get used to that when we land in Dubai. And also will help the boys getting in shape.’ This camp, though we had some reservations, has really helped. And I am very happy we were able to host the camp.”
Leave a Reply
Leave a Reply
Mortal aka Naman Mathur Nominated For Esports Mobile Player of the Year Award 2020
Naman Mathur aka Soul Mortal has been nominated for the ‘Esports Mobile Player of the Year’ award 2020. He has also become the first Indian to be nominated in multiple categories for the Esports Awards. Six other streamers were also nominated. Mortal was recently nominated for the ‘Streamer of the Year’ award as well.
A new category has been announced by the ESports: Pro and On-Air Talent, dedicated to Esports professionals, casters, analysts, cosplayers, and gaming organizations from around the world.
Mortal, who is also the owner of Soul Esports, plays the role of an IGL for his team and enjoys a massive fan following.
Along with Mortal, several other PUBG Mobile players have been nominated for the prestigious award as well. Twin brothers Luxxy and Zuxxy have been nominated in the same category as that of Mortal. They outshone others and showcased exemplary gaming skills in multiple tournaments that were held this year.
Famous Clash Royale content creator and professional player, Frank Oskam, aka Surgical Goblin,who hails from the Netherlands, has also been nominated for the award.
The ‘Esports Mobile Player of the Year’ nominations also feature players like Luke Ferg, aka IFERG, who plays Call of Duty Mobile. Bruno Goes, aka NOBRU, from Brazil, who plays Garena Free Fire, has also been nominated for the award.
Pingback: Arjun Kapoor tested positive for coronavirus